Code of Conduct and Disciplinary Procedure
BH-Code_of_Conduct.pdf (400 KB)
Bexhill Heritage is a charity dedicated to the protection, conservation and promotion of Bexhill’s heritage buildings and public open spaces. We have nearly four hundred members and work closely with other organisations in the town and across the county that share our aims. These aims and charitable objects can be found in our Consitution.
As a charity we are required to be politically impartial. This impartiality means that we are very careful to avoid:
- Expressing an opinion on a political issue such as whether there should be a Town Council for Bexhill.
- Expressing support for or campaigning for, any political party or candidate.
- Funding any political party, candidate or campaign.
- Treating a political party or candidate differently from any other political party or candidate.
(Individual members and officers of the charity are free to engage in the political activities referred to above but must not do so ‘on behalf’ of the charity.)
In order to promote our aims and charitable objects we:
- Work with local government officers, civil servants and elected representatives.
- Work with the governing group on a local authority even though its members may be drawn from one political party.
- Provide heritage-related information to any political party or candidate on request.
- Communicate with all political parties and candidates to seek support for our charitable objects and campaigns, and let members know how political parties and candidates have responded.
Bexhill Heritage will not support the replacement of wooden windows of original design in the Town Centre Conservation Area by UPVC windows unless the replacements are of the highest quality of design, detail and finish, for example the Roseview Ultimate. Where such windows are approved, Bexhill Heritage will expect the Council to condition the grant of planning permission so as to restrict the replacement to the type specified and thereafter check the work has been carried out in accordance with the condition. Bexhill Heritage encourages and supports the replacement of poorly designed UPVC windows by UPVC windows of the highest quality of design and detail. We often suggest that discussion takes place with applicants to achieve a satisfactory result.
Bexhill Heritage will not use tropical hardwoods in our restoration projects except to repair structural timbers where alternatives would be significantly detrimental to a building’s integrity. In such cases, every effort will be made to obtain pre-used hardwood from a legitimate source.